Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Unrequited Love

This morning I enjoyed a wonderful cup of coffee while reading the news. As I was reading I came across a story about a student from India who decided to poison the water at the local school because of the humiliation of being expelled from school over his many proposals and stalking tendencies.  It got me thinking about what people won’t do for love.


Most people are drawn to a good love story and there are many examples of such in History.  One example we can actually see is the Taj Mahal.   That architectural wonder is evidence of Shah Jahan’s love for Mumtaz Mahal.  The structure was built on the Yamuna River in India as a memorial to his wife who died giving birth to their 14th child. The project began one year after  Mumtaz’s death in 1631 and was not completed until 1653. The Taj Mahal is beautiful and a beautiful tribute to woman who was loved.

   Beyond the story behind the Taj Mahal we have the story of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. The Queen is known for her long period of mourning after the death of her husband. For the next 40 years she was only seen wearing black.

 Now we have the fictional tragedy written by Shakespeare that never seems to grow old. Romeo and Juliet. If you were to ask someone if they are familiar with that story, most people would say yes. When I was young my family and another got together to read the story. I distinctly remember reading the part of  Mercutio. Juliet takes a drug and appears dead. Romeo doesn't know it's part of the plan and believes her to be dead when he sees her next. I suppose he couldn’t bear living if she wasn’t there (the romance) and he ends up poisoning himself. Juliet wakes up (feels the same thing) and poisons herself. There we have the tragic love story of two star crossed lovers.  Although… imho, I think the story is silly. :P But I’m not really a romantic at heart.



I think the story of the 16 year old boy from India is quite amusing. 

And that’s Emily reporting to you live from HB, California

No comments:

Post a Comment